Advice for Economics Majors
We recommend that students pursuing the B.A. in Economics consider the following:
- ECO 181 Introduction to Macroeconomics and ECO 182 Introduction to Microeconomics are introductory economics courses that assume no prior knowledge. ECO 181 and ECO 182 have no prerequisites and are the best place to commence study in economics. It does not matter which course is taken first.
- All 200-level ECO courses have no prerequisites. A popular way of satisfying the 11 credits in the "Other Economics Electives" component of the B.A. in Economics is by taking ECO 181, ECO 182, and a 200-level ECO course.
- ECO 405 Microeconomic Theory and ECO 407 Macroeconomic Theory are required courses for the B.A. in Economics. They are prerequisites for most 400-level economics electives. Therefore, ECO 405 and ECO 407 should be taken as early as possible. The only prerequisites for ECO 405 and ECO 407 are MTH 121-122 or MTH 141-142 (i.e. Calc I and II) or MTH 131 & MTH 122. However, the knowledge gained in ECO 181 is useful towards ECO 407, and ECO 182 is useful towards ECO 405.
- ECO 480 Econometrics I is also a required course for the B.A. in Economics. It is mathematical and challenging. The prerequisites for ECO 480 are MTH 121-122 or MTH 141-142 (i.e. Calc I and II) or MTH 131 & MTH 122. Students should plan on taking ECO 480 during their third year at the latest.
- ECO 496 Internship in Economics is a great way of obtaining work experience together with credit towards the B.A. in Economics.
Office: 435 Fronczak
Spring 2014 Advising Hours:
Jan 27th through Feb 7th: Mon, Wed -10:30am - 12:30pm; Fri - 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Feb 10th through end of semester: Mon, Wed, Fri: 1:00pm - 3:00pm or by appointment
To set up an appointment, email Xiaohui Ma and write “advisement request” in the subject line.
Phone: (716) 645-8682
Dr. Zhiqiang Liu
Office: 445 Fronczak
Spring 2014 Office Hours:
Tue, Thu: 1:00pm - 2:00pm or by appointment
To set up an appointment, email Dr. Liu and write “advisement request” in the subject line.
Phone: (716) 645-8688